Skocz do zawartości

San Antonio Spurs 2023/24 Star Wars: New Hope

ignazz

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Via spurstalk:

We're entering the week before the lottery (next Sunday, May 12 2024) and since I had some free time today I ran some numbers on it and figured I'd share.

Official Site: https://www.nba.com/news/nba-draft-lottery-explainer

BASIC BREAKDOWN
Spurs will have 1-2 picks: their own (1-9) and (maybe) Toronto's (1-4 and 6-10 but only conveys if 7-10). There are 4 basic scenarios:

1. Spurs get 1 pick: 45.85%. 2 sub-scenarios:
    1. only pick (own) comes at 1-4: 19.39%
    2. only pick (own) comes at 5-9: 26.46%
  2. Spurs get 2 picks: 54.15%. 2 sub-scenarios:
    1. own pick comes at 1-4: 22.72%. Toronto's pick will come anywhere 7-10.
    2. own pick comes at 5-9: 31.42%. Picks must ALWAYS be consecutive: 6 & 7 (14.29%), 7 & 8 (13.86%), 8 & 9 (3.12%) or 9 & 10 (0.15%).

COMBINATIONS BETWEEN SPURS AND TORONTO'S PICKS

• Given the Spurs and Toronto's seeding (5h and 6th) there are only 49 valid pick combinations between them, 16 of which give the Spurs 2 picks (54.15%) while 33 give the Spurs 1 pick (45.75%). The remaining combinations can't happen per lottery rules, like 5 & 7, 6 & 9, 8 & 7 (as in Spurs pick falling at 8th and Toronto's at 7th), etc.
  • Top 2 most likely combinations are 6 & 7 (14.29%) and 7 & 8 (13.86%). Together they account for 28.15%, which is more than the bottom 31 valid combinations put together (28.13%).
  • Top 6 most likely combinations together account for 43.63% and have the Toronto pick conveying, while the top 8 combinations together account for more than 50.21% and all of them include the 7th pick (either via the Spurs or Toronto).

PICKS DISTRIBUTION

• If Toronto's pick conveys it must be that: a) Spurs own pick is top 4 (41.97%) or b) both picks must be consecutive (58.03%). Beware: these percentages are relative to the times the Toronto pick conveys only, so they'd be lower overall.
  • The possible scenarios with 2 consecutive picks are: 6 & 7 (14.29%), 7 & 8 (13.86%), 8 & 9 (3.12%) or 9 & 10 (0.15%), adding up to 31.42%.
  • Spurs cannot have 2 picks if their own comes at 5, because that would mean Toronto's pick must be 6 which falls within the protected range.

WHERE TO FOCUS

• Most likely ranges where the Spurs could have a pick are:
    • 1-6: 63.96% (only the Spurs own pick)
    • 7-8: 71.87% (own or Toronto's). Odds at getting a 7th pick are at 56.51%
    • 9-10: 4.3% (own or Toronto's)
  • Thus, ending up with a 7th pick is more likely than not, and almost as likely as the entire 1-6 range. If we include the 7-8 range, chances of falling inside go up to 71.87%, so prospects projected to be available at 7/8 are good targets to scout.
  • Note that percentages do not add to 100% because they can overlap: if Spurs land 6 and Toronto 7, there's a pick in both 1-6 and 7-8 ranges.

BEWARE WHAT YOU WISH FOR (or not so much)

• "More picks" vs "a higher pick": Spurs picking top 4 negatively affects the chances of having 2 picks (Toronto's pick conveying) but only slightly: by -0.3274%.
  • Conversely, having 2 picks (Toronto's pick conveying) negatively affects the chances of the Spurs picking top 4 but slightly: by -0.3214%.
  • So if you wanted one of the two scenarios but wondered how it affected the other, don't fret over it: they're almost independent events.

READING LIVE LOTTERY RESULTS

• Reveal is down from 14 to 1. The earliest Toronto can appear is 10, and the Spurs 9.
  • Every reveal that skips team respective to ther seeding implies that team jumped into the top 4, which reduces the chances of the Spurs also jumping into top 4, but increases the chances of the Toronto pick conveying.
  • From 10 to 7, if Toronto is revealed before the Spurs, then Spurs will be next or else it means they jumped into top 4. So if Toronto comes at 9 then the Spurs are next at 8 or else they'll be in the top 4.
  • If Spurs are revealed before Toronto, the latter jumped into top 4 and the pick won't convey in this draft.
  • Odds change depending on the actual lottery order, but if Spurs get into the top 4 their chances at each spot are roughly flat.

FOR GEEKS
Joint distribution for both Spurs and Toronto's pick, as a table and as a list. Note that the tables DO NOT represent the same as that of Tankathon; here row number represents the final (post lottery) pick for the Spurs and column for Toronto's, and the resulting cell (intersection of row and column) contains the probability of that scenario happening.

Took some time to delve into the lottery odds, pick 7 is more likely than not and 7/8 is upwards of 70% so that is a good range to look for available prospects in mocks. Getting 2 consecutive picks at 6 or lower is a distinct possibility, and landing a top 4 pick barely affects the chances of having 2 picks (i.e., the Toronto pick conveying).

Another consequence of the lottery will be the amount of cap space Spurs will have.

Let's say Spurs keep Champagnie, waive Graham + Bassey and renounce their FAs:
- If they are lucky in the lottery and get #1 + #7, they will have about $15.5M in cap space.
- If they are unlucky and get only #7, they will have about $27M in cap space.

I rather see Spurs getting that Raptors pick because this draft isn't that weak in the #7 to #10 range and because they have a lot of first round picks in 2025, but I fear Spurs basically do basically nothing else this summer if they got it. Spurs' offseason plan could just be at a PG and a SF with the two top10 picks they'll have.

IMG-2817.png

W dniu 7.05.2024 o 11:28, marceli73 napisał(a):

Mam nadzieje że dostaniemy ten pick Toronto w tym roku bo przez następne 2 lata Toronto będzie naprawdę SŁABE

Slabe beda tez inne druzyny ze wschodu, a do tankujacuch po coopera na pewno dolaczy tez ktos z zachodu. Takze jak nie w tym roku to w kolejnym, albo za 2 lata oddadza ten pik.

Wazne zeby Atlanta nie miala teraz top4, bo sie wzmocni.

Edytowane przez splaash

Jest średnio dobrze i źle. Atlanta za wysoko ALE nie jest powiedziane że w tegorocznym drafcie nie wezmą sobie jakiegoś busta :)! OBY. Teraz tylko trzeba kibicować skautom żeby SA z tymi numerami kogoś perspektywicznego wzięli. Mam nadzieje że Chicago za rok trochę lepiej się spiszą niż w tym roku i ich pick tez dostaniemy.

Edytowane przez marceli73

Może się też zdarzyć że Atlanta teraz chętniej odda z powrotem Murraya za mniej niż dała :). Np ich 1 pick i pick Chicago. Wszystko będzie zależeć od tego jak im się z Youngiem układa teraz. Ja osobiście zaproponowałbym Atlancie za Murraya Keldona plus jakiś średni pick. Nasz, Chicago lub Atlanty z protekcją.

Edytowane przez marceli73

Draft NBA 2022: 4 - Keegan Murray, 8 - Dyson Daniels

Draft NBA 2021: 4 - Scottie Barnes, 8 - Franz Wagner

Draft NBA 2020: 4 - Patrick Williams, 8 - Obi Toppin

Draft NBA 2019: 4 - DeAndre Hunter, 8 - Jaxson Hayes

Dla Spurs jest zła kolejność, że dwóch picków z takimi numerami nie mieli w 2021 lub 2022, kiedy zawodnicy byliby starsi i mieliby już trochę doświadczenia w NBA. Tak ci z 2024 zanim nabiorą doświadczenia i osiągną wysoki poziom (o ile w ogóle go osiągną) może minąć wiele czasu, a na Spurs/Victora będzie rosnąć presja. Będąc włodarzem Spurs zadzwoniłbym do Brooklyniarzy z zamiarem oddania tych dwóch picków 4 i 8 z 2024 + złego kontraktu ze Spurs + za Mikala Bridgesa, który jeszcze ma 48/2 kontraktu, a Brooklynowi on jest obecnie w ogóle niepotrzebny, a tak dostają picki i jakąś szansę/nadzieje, że będą mieli nowego młodego lidera, bo w obecnej formule droga Nets jest donikąd. Brak picków, brak potencjału i Bridges nie jest im obecnie potrzebny i będzie marnować czas.

Spurs dostaje na dwa lata Bridgesa na niskim kontrakcie, który na wiele lat może być trzecią opcją drużyny + dobrego defensora obwodowego, który mógłby tworzyć z Victorem świetną defensywę Spurs. Tak będzie mega loteria z tymi pickami, gdzie można trafić draft 2021, który byłby świetny, a można trafić 2020 czy 2019, który byłby kaplicą.