Skocz do zawartości

LeBron vs Jordan - tak na poważnie

BMF

Ignorując pierścienie i zespołowe osiągnięcia, lepszy był  

172 użytkowników zagłosowało

1. 1. Ignorując pierścienie i zespołowe osiągnięcia, lepszy był

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

23 minuty temu, lorak napisał:

to samo mamy na forum, bo ludzie, którzy wychowali się na 90s nie są w stanie tego przeskoczyć i zauważyć, że koszykówka poszła do przodu.

uzasadnienie Dr J na to nie wskazuje. poza tym dać Jordana do 2nd team...

Well ja sie nie wychowalem chyba jesli jestem rocznik 91

ale potrafie docenic ze ktos mogl rozpierdalac w innej erze i ze nie robil tego przeciwko bumom, tylko dobrej konkurencji

jeden z przeciwnikow Wilta na przyklad:

Edytowane przez Kubbas

4 minuty temu, lorak napisał:

ok, ale docenienie to jedno, a kierowanie się sentymentem przy określeniu kto był lepszy, to już jest coś nie tak. bo jak inaczej wytłumaczycie Jordana za Westem lub Oscarem?

no wiadomo ze tu przegial

ale nie jest to tez jakies mega przestepstwo, Oscar i West obaj sa topem all time

ogolnie jak zwykle w ostatnim czasie staracie sie jak najbardziej ublizac greats z innych er

gdy prawie kazdy z nich z biegu wchodzi do obecnej ligi i robi rozpierdol

Czyli mam rozumieć, że chłop nie dał Lebrona bo superteamy, ale w jego pierwszej piątce jest Jerry West, Elgin Baylor i Wilt Chamberlain. Tak się składa, że panowie grali w jednym zespole przez 4 lata.

Ogólnie w temacie superteamów też jest zawsze dużo zabawy bo takie Cavs to superteam bo Kevin Love, ale Bulls Jordana to już nie superteam. Celtics Birda też nie, Lakers Magica i Kareema też nie. No, ale jak przychodzi dyskusja do rywalizacji pokoleń to oldheady mówią, że te ekipy jechałyby z GSW Stepha i Duranta. Piękne to jest zawsze do poczytania ❤️ 

A sam DR J zajebisty koszykarz. Dziś też byłby gwiazdą ligi. No, ale fakty są takie, że pierścień z 76ers wygrał jako 2/3 opcja bo tam prócz Malone'a w tych finałach koncert grał Andrew Toney. Z ławki Bobby Jones 5x allstar, 6thman, HOF  a na rozegraniu Maurice Cheeks 4x allstar, 5x all def team, HOF. Ktoś mógłby powiedzieć, że superteam i dało się tu wygrać więcej pierścieni, ale jak to mawia Wojtula Michałowicz każdy może mieć swoją opinie prawda?

Edytowane przez ttr

Owzem, w 80s mieliśmy Celtics (Bird + dwóch allstarów), Lakers (Magic & KAJ, potem Worthy + zajebiści rolesi) i Sixers (Erving, Malone, Toney, Jones, Cheeks) - jak się doszukiwać początków ery superteamów w nowoczesnej NBA, to wtedy, bo przed expansion kumulacja talentu w topie była wybitna, a pójście Mosesa do Sixers to z grubsza to samo, co Harden w Nets.

Ale po latach nikt tego tak nie odbiera. 

Kiedyś stworzenie superteamu przez FA było praktycznie niemożliwe ze wzgledu na przepisy. Również poprzez trade było dużo ciężej ze względu na kontrakty jakie podpisywali zawodnicy. Stąd ta cała "lojalność" do której pałują się boomerzy.  To prawie tak jakby porównywać lojalność piłkarzy sprzed i po prawie Bosmana.

But Jordan reigned over the NBA for most of a decade and deprived many of that era's greatest players of championships in the process. So why didn't, say, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing and Reggie Miller team up to oppose him? It's simple: the rules didn't allow it. While free agents were free to do as they saw fit for most of Jordan's career, the rules in place at the time made it almost impossible for superstars to actually use free agency to build their own contenders. To understand why, we need to venture back several decades to the very origins of free agency.

A brief history of free agency

The free agency enjoyed by modern players is a relatively new phenomenon. In fact, even the limited movement of the 1990s was an enormous shift from the league's early history. The NBA didn't grant any sort of free agency until 1976, and it only did so to settle a 1970 lawsuit brought about by Oscar Robertson.

The free agency adopted then had little in common with modern free agency. Teams were granted the right of first refusal on any contract offered to their own players, essentially making every player whose contract expired at that point the equivalent of a modern restricted free agent. If a team chose to let a player walk, the original team was granted compensation. That compensation was either negotiated between the two teams as a sort of trade, or decided unilaterally by the commissioner if the two sides could not agree.

This all changed four years into Jordan's career, when the 1988 CBA finally granted players unrestricted free agency once they'd hit certain criteria. As big a win as this was for players leaguewide, it didn't lead to the immediate formation of superteams. In fact, superstars were largely hesitant to explore unrestricted free agency at first. From the onset of unrestricted free agency in 1988 and Jordan's second retirement in 1998, only two reigning All-NBA players changed teams through free agency.

One was a 34-year-old Dominique Wilkins, who had already been traded a few months earlier. The other was Shaquille O'Neal, whose hometown fans infamously told him they didn't want him back at the price he was demanding. A third, Juwan Howard, tried to leave the Washington Bullets for the Miami Heat, but failed because the league ruled that the contract was illegal and that Miami had miscalculated its cap space.

Imagine something like that happening today. Teams spend years planning to have cap space in a specific moment because free agents change teams so frequently. It may have only happened twice in that first decade, but in the summer of 2019 alone, four different All-NBA players changed teams in free agency. It easily could've been more. The modern salary cap is designed to encourage player movement. The one that existed during Jordan's peak, though, was still built around the only reality the league had known to that point: superstars staying put. As a result, it functionally bound the overwhelming majority of superstars to their original team for the duration of their primes.

So let's look at some of the rules that enforced that reality, and how they were changed immediately after Jordan's retirement in the 1999 CBA. In some cases, they made it significantly harder for teams to create cap space. In others, they made it significantly harder for teams to use it. After all, the NBA at that point gave incumbent teams one enormous advantage in retaining their own players.

Larry Bird rights

The NBA has always used some version of this rule to allow teams to go over the salary cap to retain their own free agents. Those rules just became more stringent with time. In its original state, the Larry Bird Exception applied to any player who had been under his previous contract for at least one year. There were no exceptions and no tiers. All Bird Rights were created equal. The 1999 CBA altered this system into the one we have today. The current model includes three tiers: Non-Bird Rights (which came after one year), Early-Bird Rights (which come after two) and full Bird Rights (which come after three). Full Bird Rights allow a team to re-sign its own free agents for up to the max. Non-Bird Rights and Early-Bird Rights circumstantially allow some wiggle room, but not nearly that much.

This rule came from the right place. No team should lose an icon because of cap concerns. But it was utterly abused in practice, as players managed to use the it to circumvent the cap entirely and earn contracts that just wouldn't be possible today. Having no time restraints on Bird Rights meant that free agents pretty routinely signed short-term deals with the unwritten understanding that in the near future, they would re-sign newer, bigger deals that made up for the money they lost.

Horace Grant was the most famous example. He signed a suspicious five-year deal with the Orlando Magic in 1994. That deal paid him under $2.8 million for the 1995-96 season, but included an opt-out in the summer of 1996. Grant took it, and the new deal Orlando gave him paid him a cool $14.8 million for the 1996-97 season. Under the current rules, Grant would have only Early Bird Rights, and with them could have made only around $5.3 million that season from Orlando. This tactic was hardly confined to players of Grant's caliber, though. Chris Dudley executed a version of this plan so egregious that the league publicly called it "a blatant and transparent attempt" to circumvent the cap and challenged it in court.

If you're wondering why superstars didn't take advantage of this loophole, the short answer is that they didn't reach free agency often enough to do so. We'll explain why down the line. For the most part, teams used this tactic to bring in valuable players that weren't quite superstars. After all, if the NBA was willing to go to court over Dudley, imagine how it would have reacted if a team had nabbed Karl Malone on this sort of deal.

Almost every team in the league was taking advantage of this loophole in some form at the time. Without a Mid-Level Exception in place, it was the only tool a capped out team could use to add talent, and conversely, it was the only way a player could land with a team that lacked cap space. These under-the-table deals were so tempting and so inflated a team's cap numbers that preserving space required far more willpower. That was especially true given the lack of consequences of spending at the time.

The max contract

Players were legally allowed to be paid any amount a team would willingly pay them until 1999, so long as that number fit either underneath the salary cap or the player's Bird Rights. There were no restrictions on amount (Michael Jordan made 123 percent of the salary cap for the 1997-98 season), or options (Chris Webber's 15-year rookie deal included a first-year opt-out), and while the 1995 CBA created a seven-year restriction on length, prior contracts greatly exceeded it (such as Magic Johnson's 25-year deal).

The 1999 CBA created the current three-tiered max system we have today. Players with between four and six years of experience can earn 25 percent of the cap in the first year of a new contract. Players with between seven and nine years of experience can earn 30 percent of it in the first year of a new contract. Players with 10 more years of experience can make 35 percent of it in their first seasons. Lengths have varied over the years, but currently, a team can get five years from his own team and four years from a new one.

Before these restrictions were in place, teams greatly exceeded them on both fronts. Let's start with salary. The highest first-year salary any current free agent can get is 35 percent of the salary cap. But according to Hoops Hype's salary database, between Jordan's first championship season (1990-91) and his last (1997-98), a staggering 26 players made salaries above 35 percent of the cap. That list includes plenty of players who might've liked a superstar teammate with which to battle Jordan: David Robinson (five times), Patrick Ewing (four times), Reggie Miller (twice), Gary Payton (twice) and Alonzo Mourning (twice) all make multiple appearances on that list.

In many cases, players took up comical percentages of the cap. Ewing routinely took up gargantuan amounts, as high as 76 percent of the cap in Jordan's final season, though he did grant the Knicks a bit of flexibility in 1996 by structuring his contract to include a lower cap number that summer. That was flexibility the Spurs, for instance, lacked. David Robinson cost San Antonio 46 percent of it in Jordan's final season.

These huge numbers didn't just make cap space harder to create, they made it harder to use. It's common sense. Modern free agents are hardly incentivized to remain in place. The ceiling on their max could rise if they gain supermax eligibility, but under no circumstances can that exceed 35 percent, and without it, they can only get one extra year on their contract and slightly higher annual raises to stay put. If LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh had all been allowed to negotiate for their market value in 2010, there is no way that the Heat would have been able to afford all three. But the max essentially took financial incentives off of the table. If all three could play together for virtually the same amount of money that they would make on their own, then suddenly playing together becomes far more appealing.

Older superstars did not have to make such sacrifices. If Ewing could make 76 percent of the cap from the Knicks, then he'd essentially have to take a 50 percent pay cut to join a new team even a modern max deal. Top players at that point hogged such a ridiculous percentage of a team's cap space, and could similarly demand that much from their own teams thanks to their Bird Rights, that building a superteam elsewhere would simply be financially impractical.

It wasn't just the sheer salary of these deals that made free-agent movement so difficult. It was their length. Ewing, for example, didn't reach free agency until 1996, 11 years after he was drafted. His rookie contract could have lasted anywhere from six to 10 years based on options. The length of those contracts incentivized early renegotiation because market conditions change during the life of those deals.

Nowadays, player contracts are organically so short and so often contain opt-outs that if a player is underpaid, he'll reach free agency soon enough to correct that. At that point? A player might be underpaid and still have six or seven years left on a deal. Making more money meant committing more years. Superstars routinely signed new deals years before their old ones would expire to ensure that they were properly paid.

Now think about those longer contracts in the context of an entire roster. When a team wants to sign multiple stars today, it simply jettisons its role players, who are typically on short contracts. Doing so becomes significantly harder when those role players are on six- and seven-year deals. There was no stretch provision at this point in history either. If a team wanted to clear cap space, trading contracts was the only way to do so.

And finally, there's the mental toll of all of this. Teams were aware of all these realities. They knew that clearing cap space would require convincing stars to take pay cuts, hoping other stars didn't extend their contracts, and spending years either dumping their bad contracts or waiting for them to expire. It was such a perilous and unpredictable track that no team truly attempted it until the 2000 Orlando Magic. Using the methods described above made it easier to aim lower. Getting and retain role players was so simple that aiming for stars just wasn't appealing. To an extent, this was by design. Most of the past methods of superteam formation had been eliminated by league-intervention.

Edytowane przez camby23

W dniu 28.04.2021 o 10:43, BMF napisał:

Owzem, w 80s mieliśmy Celtics (Bird + dwóch allstarów), Lakers (Magic & KAJ, potem Worthy + zajebiści rolesi) i Sixers (Erving, Malone, Toney, Jones, Cheeks) - jak się doszukiwać początków ery superteamów w nowoczesnej NBA, to wtedy, bo przed expansion kumulacja talentu w topie była wybitna, a pójście Mosesa do Sixers to z grubsza to samo, co Harden w Nets.

Ale po latach nikt tego tak nie odbiera. 

Niby tak, ale to Lebron zapoczątkował tworzenie superteamów, złożonych z czołowych graczy (BIG 3, BIG 4) w prime (poniżej 30). Tak na szybko myśląc w nowoczesnej koszykówce, to np. w Rockets 96-97 Barkley, Olajuwon, Drexler byli grubo po 30. Lakers 2003-2004 tym bardziej, Celtics 2007-2008 też po. Zaczęło się od Miami w 2010 i tak popłynęło. 

Edytowane przez czoko

26 minut temu, czoko napisał:

Niby tak, ale to Lebron zapoczątkował tworzenie superteamów, złożonych z czołowych graczy (BIG 3, BIG 4) w prime (poniżej 30). Tak na szybko myśląc w nowoczesnej koszykówce, to np. w Rockets 96-97 Barkley, Olajuwon, Drexler byli grubo po 30. Lakers 2003-2004 tym bardziej, Celtics 2007-2008 też po. Zaczęło się od Miami w 2010 i tak popłynęło. 

Malone to chyba przechodził do Sixers jako MVP, więc raczej się liczy jako "czołowy gracz" 

Akurat decyzja Lebrona to był dickmove na zupełnie innym poziomie. Przede wszystkim to zgadywanie się bezpośrednio z DW i CB, warunki ogłoszenia decyzji, cała otoczka i liczenie tytułów... Sami sobie stworzyli niespecjalnie przyjazną narrację. 

22 minuty temu, czoko napisał:

Pierce, Garnett i Allen nadal byli w prime w 2007 roku. Co z tego, że dwaj ostatni przekroczyli trzydziestkę (odpowiednio o rok i dwa lata)?

4 minuty temu, Zimny napisał:

Malone to chyba przechodził do Sixers jako MVP, więc raczej się liczy jako "czołowy gracz" 

Akurat decyzja Lebrona to był dickmove na zupełnie innym poziomie. Przede wszystkim to zgadywanie się bezpośrednio z DW i CB, warunki ogłoszenia decyzji, cała otoczka i liczenie tytułów... Sami sobie stworzyli niespecjalnie przyjazną narrację. 

albo po prostu nie wiemy jaka była otoczka w 80's, 90's bo nie było 24/7 feeda  z życia grajków :) 

LBJ jest dzbanem i generalnie życzę mu żeby został drugi, ale jednak czepianie się tego przejścia do Heat jest dużym mindfuckiem (żaden z top-10 ever nie miał tak marnych warunków drużynowych przez pierwsze 7 lat kariery jak on a w Heat wcałe nie miał lepszego wsparcia niż Jordan w najlepszych czasach Bulls, Bird w najlepszych czasach Celtics, Magic w najlepszych czasach Lakers itd)

Edytowane przez julekstep

8 minut temu, Zimny napisał:

Sixers '83 mieli superstara Mosesa i Ervinga (on akurat był lekko overrated, ale to na inną dyskusję), Bobby'ego Jonesa z impaktem mocnego allstara, allstara Toneya i elite rolesa Cheeksa, liga miała farta, że Moses szybko się skończył, a Erving był coraz starszy, bo sam sezon '83 to ścisły historycznie top. 

A decyzja LeBrona z '10 to był rzeczywiście dick move i jest słusznie za nią krytykowany, ale w miarę szybko Wade skończył prime, więc pod kątem legacy ma dwa tytuły ciągnięcia swoich drużyn za uszy. 

Ale nie, nie był to ani pierwszy, ani drugi, ani trzeci, ani czwarty, ani nawet piąty superteam, my to przeceniamy, bo dzieje się to na naszych oczach, gdy jako kibice jesteśmy w prime. Magic jest pamiętany jako farciarz, który na starcie kariery dostał gracza z top3 alltime w zdecydowanie słabszej konferencji, czy jako twarz ligi, z pamiętnych rywalizacji z Celtics? No właśnie.

9 godzin temu, BMF napisał:

Ale nie, nie był to ani pierwszy, ani drugi, ani trzeci, ani czwarty, ani nawet piąty superteam, my to przeceniamy, bo dzieje się to na naszych oczach, gdy jako kibice jesteśmy w prime. Magic jest pamiętany jako farciarz, który na starcie kariery dostał gracza z top3 alltime w zdecydowanie słabszej konferencji, czy jako twarz ligi, z pamiętnych rywalizacji z Celtics? No właśnie.

Dyskusja jest rozlazła ponieważ jak zwykle nie zaczynamy od wyjaśnienia terminów . Superteam dla każdego ma inne znaczenia tak samo w tej dyskusji tworzenie superteamu < zbudowanie superteamu. Magic farciarz ? Kobe pewnie też ale ciężko powiedzieć to o MJeju który cały proces dojścia do dominacji Bulls przeszedł jako najważniejsza jego część. Kobe czekając cierpliwie także udowodnił swoją wartość przechodząc tłuste i chude lata Lakers . Kibice doceniają przywiązanie do barw klubowych zawodników i droga na skróty LeBrona czy Duranta będzie zawsze ciążyła na ich legacy. 

Edytowane przez Koelner

mnie się jeszcze wydaje, że dawniejsi zawodnicy mają trochę ból dupy o to, że LJ jest po części GM. oni tak drużyn nie mogli sobie "budować". Magic miał farta, że trafił jak trafił, Bird z Jordanem mieli świetnych GMs, ale żaden nie posiadał takiej zakulisowej mocy, jak LeGM. on jest na równi z właścicielami i nie musi ustępować, a oni musieli prędzej czy później dać za wygraną i przecież nawet MJ właściwie przedwcześnie z tego powodu zakończył karierę.

6 minut temu, Koelner napisał:

Kobe czekając cierpliwie także udowodnił swoją wartość przechodząc tłuste i chude lata Lakers . Kibice doceniają przywiązanie do barw klubowych

przecież Kobe szybko pękł, gdy nastały chude lata i zażądał trejdu do bulls. lakers zmontowali do pistons, ale że KB miał no trade, to do niczego nie doszło.

jestem ciekaw jak ogólnie ci "lojaliści" by wyglądali, gdyby jako rookies trafili i na takie zadupia i do takich fatalnych organizacji, jak wolves lub cavs.

10 minut temu, lorak napisał:

przecież Kobe szybko pękł, gdy nastały chude lata i zażądał trejdu do bulls. lakers zmontowali do pistons, ale że KB miał no trade, to do niczego nie doszło.

też się „rzucało papierami” żeby wywrzeć presję oraz poprawić swój byt - finalnie Kobe grał całą karierę w Lakers

11 minut temu, lorak napisał:

jestem ciekaw jak ogólnie ci "lojaliści" by wyglądali, gdyby jako rookies trafili i na takie zadupia i do takich fatalnych organizacji, jak wolves lub cavs.

Bulls było zadupiem. 

12 minut temu, lorak napisał:

mnie się jeszcze wydaje, że dawniejsi zawodnicy mają trochę ból dupy o to, że LJ jest po części GM. oni tak drużyn nie mogli sobie "budować". Magic miał farta, że trafił jak trafił, Bird z Jordanem mieli świetnych GMs, ale żaden nie posiadał takiej zakulisowej mocy, jak LeGM. on jest na równi z właścicielami i nie musi ustępować, a oni musieli prędzej czy później dać za wygraną i przecież nawet MJ właściwie przedwcześnie z tego powodu zakończył karierę.

True , nie wyobrażam sobie aby w obecnej NBA Jordan czy Barkley nie mieli możliwości budowania zespołu . NBA tak przekształciła ten cyrk , że gwiazdy są w stanie zbudować same zespół z dnia na dzień i następnie zdominować ligę . 

34 minuty temu, lorak napisał:

Stary Buss rozmyślił się w ostatniej chwili.

KB był zdecydowany, w grę wchodził każdy deal.

26 minut temu, starYfaN napisał:

Stary Buss rozmyślił się w ostatniej chwili.

KB był zdecydowany, w grę wchodził każdy deal.

no nie bardzo: https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kobe-bryant-wanted-trade-2007-chicago-bulls-20150223-story.html

"The All-Star guard also confirmed he scuttled a trade the Lakers proposed that would have sent him to the Detroit Pistons.

“That is true,” said Bryant, who said the potential deal included Richard “Rip” Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and draft picks.

“I gave you a list of teams I’m comfortable being traded to,” recalled Bryant. “Not Detroit.”"

46 minut temu, Koelner napisał:

Bulls było zadupiem. 

chicago nie było i w połowie 80s bulls mieli już dobrą organizację.

5 minut temu, lorak napisał:

no nie bardzo: https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kobe-bryant-wanted-trade-2007-chicago-bulls-20150223-story.html

"The All-Star guard also confirmed he scuttled a trade the Lakers proposed that would have sent him to the Detroit Pistons.

“That is true,” said Bryant, who said the potential deal included Richard “Rip” Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and draft picks.

“I gave you a list of teams I’m comfortable being traded to,” recalled Bryant. “Not Detroit.”"

Temat odejścia KB upadł po spotkaniu z Dr Buss'em (za pięć 12). W kwestii CHI, KB chciał mieć swojego Pippena i dlatego odmawiano włączenia Denga.

To piarowe teksty KB, który musiał mieć swój wkład w pozostaniu, po żądaniu dealu na Plutona. Była też kwestia tego, że po wybebeszeniu Detroit, miałby to co w LAL.

KB chciał odejść, ale chciał mieć dobry zespół.

Nie da się "zjeść ciastko i mieć ciastko". 

32 minuty temu, lorak napisał:

chicago nie było i w połowie 80s bulls mieli już dobrą organizację.

co to znaczy dobra ? lepsza niż cavs i twolves ? jakoś magia marketu i klubu po czasach MJeja działała na krótki moment 

Godzinę temu, julekstep napisał:

które z czasem stało się zajebistą ekipą bo 'Krause true GOAT

nie musisz się powtarzać , znamy już wszyscy Twoją słabość do ludzi z nadwagą  🙂