Skocz do zawartości

[NBA Finals] Heat - Spurs

leeewy

Heat - Spurs  

94 użytkowników zagłosowało

1. 1. Kto zostanie mistrzem NBA?

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

All signs point to a Spurs titleAnalyzing three decades' worth of Finals trends to anticipate winner.

Regression analysis shows one team is significantly favored heading into the NBA Finals.

The Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs have reached the NBA Finals, setting up a rematch of last year's classic seven-game battle. With four days between the conclusion of the conference finals and Game 1, now comes the real fun: predicting the outcome.

Predicting the NBA Finals is somewhat different from other playoff series. First, there's more playoff data available -- three full rounds against a variety of opponents, giving a better idea of who's playing better right now. Second, because the teams have played each other just twice during the regular season, there's less head-to-head data to determine whether the matchup is good or bad.

So what has really mattered when picking the winner of past Finals? And what does that say about this year's series? Let's take a look.Matters: Regular-Season Records

Ordinarily, statistical projections will start with point differential. But when it comes to the NBA Finals, during the past three decades, records have matched up better with results than differential.

When the two teams were separated by three games or fewer during the regular season, teams with home-court advantage have actually been more likely to get upset than win the series, going 4-5. But when they won at least six more games during the regular season, they've gone a dominant 16-2, with 1995 (Houston over Orlando) and 2006 (Miami over Dallas) the lone exceptions. That's bad news for the Heat, who finished eight games behind the Spurs in the standings.Doesn't Matter: Head-to-Head Results

Against conference foes, there is predictive value to the regular-season series between the two teams -- especially in the opening round. That doesn't carry over to the NBA Finals. Two games simply aren't enough to tell us much about how the teams match up.

Half of the past 30 Finalists have split the season series, as Miami and San Antonio did this season. Though nine of the other 15 Finals were won by the team that swept the season series, that doesn't provide much new information because most of those teams had home-court advantage. The lower-seeded team has gone on to win the Finals just once out of the four times it swept in the regular season.Matters: Playoff Performance

It pays to be hot going into the Finals. When the lower-seeded team had a better point differential during the first three rounds of the playoffs, adjusted for schedule, the series is nearly a toss-up -- the favorites win 57.1 percent of the time (8-6). When the team with home court also has performed better during the playoffs, however, they're a dominant 14-2 (87.5 percent), with 1998 (Chicago over Utah, when the two teams were nearly even leading up to the Finals) and 2006 (Miami over Dallas, again) the exceptions.

The Heat (plus-7.0) and Spurs (plus-8.0) had similar average margins en route to the Finals. However, San Antonio played a much more difficult schedule in the competitive West. So San Antonio's adjusted differential of plus-11.6 points per game is much better than Miami's plus-8.1 mark.Doesn't Matter: Games Played

Because the Spurs went a full seven games in the first round, the Heat have played three fewer games in the postseason. Turns out that extra rest is not a factor in why playoff performance to date matters in the Finals. In fact, favorites who have played more games (like San Antonio) have actually tended to perform slightly better than expected, possibly because it means they've faced more challenging opposition.Matters: Defensive Rating

Yes, defense wins championships -- as long as it is paired with a good-enough offense to get to the Finals. The team with the better defensive rating during the regular season has won 19 out of the past 30 Finals, a figure that substantially understates its importance. See, offense-first teams are more likely to have home court in the Finals. When the better defensive team also has home-court advantage, it has won 86.7 percent of the time (13-2). And better defensive teams have frequently pulled upsets without home court, going 6-9 (40 percent) in those series.

Again, the importance of defense favors the Spurs. They were the better defense in the regular season, ranking fourth in points allowed per 100 possessions; Miami finished 11th. The Heat would be the first team to win the championship while finishing outside the league's top 10 defenses since the 2001 Lakers (21st).

Unlike those Lakers, Miami hasn't yet shown the ability to turn on its defense for extended stretches during the playoffs. The Heat reached the Finals largely on the strength of their offense, which dominated the league's No. 1 (Indiana) and No. 6 (Charlotte) defenses. Miami scored 12.9 more points per 100 possessions during the East playoffs than its opponents allowed during the regular season (weighted by games played), but allowed them to score 2.8 more points per 100 possessions than usual.

By contrast, San Antonio's playoff run has been incredibly balanced. In fact, the Spurs have been slightly better on defense (plus-7.4 points per 100 possessions better than opponent averages) than offense (plus-6.9). That kind of balance is rare in the postseason. Just five teams since the ABA-NBA merger have been at least six points better than average per 100 possessions at both ends of the court.Putting it Together

A regression that combines regular-season win differential and playoff performance leading up to the Finals -- but not defensive rating, which isn't statistically significant as part of a regression -- correctly retrodicts 27 of the past 30 Finals outcomes. Based on that, San Antonio has an 88 percent chance of winning the Finals.

The good news for Miami? As you might guess from going through the indicators, the biggest upset in modern Finals history was pulled off by another Heat team with Dwyane Wade.2yubzt1.png

Still, nine of the 10 teams most heavily favored entering the Finals won the series, and none of the underdogs even forced a Game 7. The 2006 Finals are also the exception to the rule when it comes to favorites who had a better point differential in both the regular season and the conference playoffs. Those teams are 11-1 in the past three decades.

Despite this overwhelming evidence, the Heat are only slight underdogs to win the series in Las Vegas. The most common line suggests the Spurs have a 57 percent chance to win. In part, the discrepancy can be traced to the popularity of Miami, as two-time defending champion. But it also surely reflects a belief we still haven't seen the best of the Heat, given Miami's tendency to play better when behind in series and in fourth quarters.

That might prove the case, because the Heat haven't yet been seriously challenged in the playoffs. But they'll have to raise their level considerably to match the way San Antonio is playing. Six times this postseason, the Spurs have beaten opponents by 20 points more than an average team in the same situation. Miami has done that only once -- the closeout Game 6 against Indiana.If the Heat are to win their third consecutive championship, it will mean defying three decades' worth of Finals trends.

Ignazz wrzucil posta opartego na liczbach, to ja w takim razie powiem, ze na szczescie statystyki nie graja ;)

za google.com

Statystycznie ja i mój pies mamy po trzy nogi, czyli dlaczego statystyka jest głupia.

Jeśli mój sąsiad codziennie bije swoją żonę, ja zaś nie biję jej nigdy, to w świetle statystyki obaj bijemy je co drugi dzień.
George Bernard Shaw

statystyka jest jak spódniczka mini - dużo pokazuje, ale nie odkrywa najważniejszego.

costam bylo jeszcze o latarni:)

Widzę, że zdecydowana większość w roli faworytów stawia San Antonio. Ja widzę to jednak inaczej. Trzeba pamiętaj o tym, że Spurs to drużyna weteranów, co prawda bez większych kontuzji, ale dla nich może to być za ciężki bój. Kolejna sprawa to Bosh, która w półdystansie czy za 3 tak skutecznie nie pokryje Thiago czy Tim jak to robią pod koszem. Do tego dochodzą dwie strzelby Allen i Lewis.. Nie wspominam specjalnie o LBJ i Wade'ie bo nie sądzę by zawiedli w tak ważnych meczach. Na pewno szybkościowo będą górować zawodnicy Miami.

statystyka dziś

fakty jutro (pojutrze?)

Widzę, że zdecydowana większość w roli faworytów stawia San Antonio. Ja widzę to jednak inaczej. Trzeba pamiętaj o tym, że Spurs to drużyna weteranów, co prawda bez większych kontuzji, ale dla nich może to być za ciężki bój. Kolejna sprawa to Bosh, która w półdystansie czy za 3 tak skutecznie nie pokryje Thiago czy Tim jak to robią pod koszem. Do tego dochodzą dwie strzelby Allen i Lewis.. Nie wspominam specjalnie o LBJ i Wade'ie bo nie sądzę by zawiedli w tak ważnych meczach. Na pewno szybkościowo będą górować zawodnicy Miami.

obecnie szybciej grają spurs

i dodatkowo co ważne są lepsi w pomalowanym i na zbiórce

gdyby nie obecna tendencja do star bonus gwizdków w ogóle poza zdrowiem Parkera bym się nie martwił

I got a C- in french but this is incredibly accurate:

I twisted my ankle in Game 4 of the first round against Dallas. I continued to play with the pain and I again twisted his ankle in Game 4 of the conference finals against Oklahoma City. I gritted my teeth, I did not want to abandon my teammates. But the pain was too strong in the sixth game , I could not really play anymore.

Today, I spend my days treat me. But the good news is that I will play the first match of the final Thursday against the Heat. I may not be 100% but I 'll be there. In 13 years , I played seven conference finals and I have the chance to play my final fifth with Spurs. This is really great. I continue my dream , this is really something sick .

We are happy to be back in the NBA Finals . It's hard to get there, or very rare. I can not wait to start . San Antonio -Miami is a little dream final . We often talk to me about our lost last year's final but for me , I think no more . That is why this final has no taste for revenge on me . This is a new season with a new finish. This is nothing to me.

It is expected a final hanging with two very good teams . I think it'll play anything. Victory will switch to small details . "

Original post:

http://www.tp9.net/spurs/je-jouerai-jeudi-face-au-heat/

Edytowane przez ignazz

Pewnie chodzi o średnią wieku - Heat mają 30.3, Spurs 28.5.

Tylko ilu tych weteranów jest w pierwszej piątce Spurs, a ilu w Heat. W Miami stanowią głównie solidną ławkę rezerwowych, a w Spurs jakby nie mówić to pierwsza siła rażenia jest.

Tylko ilu tych weteranów jest w pierwszej piątce Spurs, a ilu w Heat. W Miami stanowią głównie solidną ławkę rezerwowych, a w Spurs jakby nie mówić to pierwsza siła rażenia jest.

Yyy,mówimy o tych samych zespołach, gdzie z jednej strony jest Green i Splitter w s1, a z drugiej Lebron i Wade?

Timothy Duncan - 16

Tony Parker - 12

Danny Green - 4

Tiago Splitter - 3

Kawhi Leonard - 2

Manu Ginobili - 11

Boris Diaw - 10

Marco Bellinelli - 6

średnia 8

Chris Bosh - 10

Shane Battier - 12

Lebron James -10

Wade -10

Chalmers -5

Ray Allen  17

Rashard Lewis 15

Haslem 10

Cole - 4

11. 6

wziąłem sobie 8 graczy najważniejszych z rotacji (no dobra można jeszcze rotować ale to tak na oko) i nie mam pojęcia jak można wywnioskować, że to Spurs mają veterani team a nie Miami. nie wiadomo nawet z jakiej strony ugryźć. proszę Państwa jak patrzy się na Duncana, Manu czy Parkera to ciężko uwierzyć ale to chyba przez to, że cały czas grają w jednym teamie, cały czas grają w PO ,cały czas mają sezony 50+, cały czas mają wysoką wartość w tej lidze, widzieliśmy z nimi X meczów i nam się wydaje że byli i są i będą zawsze. ale niestety to Miami można nazwać w tym finale "dziadami".

Edytowane przez Koelner

Dokładnie, ale po ,,teście oka" za c***a mi tam nie wychodzi 11,6.

po teście kalkulatora wychodzi 10,33 gdyż Koelner wziął w Heat 9 grajków stąd pewnie ta pomyłka ;)

kurczę jakby Tim skończy karierę to Spurs będą drużyną młodzieniaszków, trudno uwierzyć.

Edytowane przez LeweBiodroSmoka

No ja liczyłem pierwszą piątkę z Manu zamiast Greenem. i Lewisa nie miałem w swojej s1

Spoko, rozumiem, Manu był w s5 aż 3 razy w całmym sezonie, a Green w PO tylko 18 razy na 18 meczy.

Ciekawi mnie kogo wziąłeś za Lewisa, że Ci wyszedł młodszy skład, raczej nie Battiera mającego najwięcej występów w s5 spoza paczki Bosh/James/Chalmers. Pewnie Odena, regularnie występującego w s5 raz w miesiącu?

W moim odczuciu, bez sięgania po kalkulator i cyferki, SAS są bardziej doświadczeni - ile to już gier w PO mają Timmy, Parker, Manu i Pop razem? We czwórkę byli w razem PO milion razy. big 3 Heat? Nieco mniej.

Z drugiej strony jest Battier czy Lewis, ale kluczowymi zawodnikami w przekroju PO to bym ich nie nazwał, tylko Wam te średnie zawyżają. Serio chłopaki, bez cyferek się nie da? Średnia wieku ma być wyznacznikiem tego, kto jets bardziej doświadczony?

wziąłem sobie 8 graczy najważniejszych z rotacji

Według mnie, kolejność jest taka:

SAS:

1. Tim "the dream" Duncan

2. Kawhi Leonard

3. Tony Parker

4. Manu Ginobili

5. Danny Green

6. Boris Diaw

7. Tiago Splitter

8. Patty Mills

HEAT:

1. Lebron

2. DWade

3. Bosh

4. Roy Allen

5. Birdman

6. Cole

7. Chalmers

8. Jones

Timothy Duncan - 16

Tony Parker - 12

Danny Green - 4

Tiago Splitter - 3

Kawhi Leonard - 2

Manu Ginobili - 11

Boris Diaw - 10

Marco Bellinelli - 6

średnia 8

Chris Bosh - 10

Shane Battier - 12

Lebron James -10

Wade -10

Chalmers -5

Ray Allen  17

Rashard Lewis 15

Haslem 10

Cole - 4

11. 6

Timothy Duncan - 16

Tony Parker - 12

Danny Green - 4

Tiago Splitter - 3

Kawhi Leonard - 2

Manu Ginobili - 11

Boris Diaw - 10

Marco Bellinelli - 6

średnia 8

Chris Bosh - 10

Shane Battier - 12

Lebron James -10

Wade -10

Chalmers -5

Ray Allen  17

Rashard Lewis 15

Haslem 10

Cole - 4

11. 6

wziąłem sobie 8 graczy najważniejszych z rotacji (no dobra można jeszcze rotować ale to tak na oko) i nie mam pojęcia jak można wywnioskować, że to Spurs mają veterani team a nie Miami. nie wiadomo nawet z jakiej strony ugryźć. proszę Państwa jak patrzy się na Duncana, Manu czy Parkera to ciężko uwierzyć ale to chyba przez to, że cały czas grają w jednym teamie, cały czas grają w PO ,cały czas mają sezony 50+, cały czas mają wysoką wartość w tej lidze, widzieliśmy z nimi X meczów i nam się wydaje że byli i są i będą zawsze. ale niestety to Miami można nazwać w tym finale "dziadami".

I kolejny przykład, jak statystyką idzie zupełnie "przestrzelić" temat.

Zobacz sobie teraz, ilu graczy San Antonio grało w Europie i ile lat. 

Oczywiście, możesz uznać że Europa się nie liczy, bo nie uczy biegać i skakać. Ale to tam uczą myśleć, czego Tiago Splitter jest najlepszym przykładem.

Rozumiem, że te cyferki to pełna liczba sezonów, od kiedy zawodnik gra (sugeruję się cyferkami przy Timie, LBJ, DW i Boshu)? 

Bo jeśli się nie mylę, to Cole rozegrał chyba dwa pełne sezony, a nie cztery, a teraz gra 3. 

Edytowane przez Tomek4